10.7.12

Sleep Deprivation

One day when I was in middle school, I heard my mom said : "He's lucky at that age he could sleep easily and soundly." (This is about my mom's friend who apparently has a good sleep cycle at the age of 40s). I didn't understand at that time. And I still didn't understand for years after I heard it.

Until recently.

Sleep is an important thing for your body. It recovers and renew your cells yadda yadda yadda (tl;dr on the article). The amount of sleep we need change along with the changes of our age. Adults (I consider my body as an adult) need 7-9 hours of sleep everyday. Siestas are acceptable. Bottom line, normal human needs sleep.

I sleep 3-5 hours per day. That's including the sudden wake up in the middle of sleep because of the need for toilet. Yes, I went to bed early, like before 12. But no matter what I do, I always able to fall asleep only at 3 or 4, and people will wake me up at 7, 8 or 8.30 on weekends except Sundays, when I have to wake up at 6. I have tried warm milk, soft and/or classical songs, books, binaural beats, wine, exercise, everything I know except hypnotize. Some times it works, some times it makes me more difficult to fall asleep. Some other times I have a lot in my mind that I almost can hear my those gears working in my brain. Yes, it's metaphor. No, there's no gear in my brain. I have sleeping disorder (most probably, haven't checked with professional yet.), and I'M JUST 20ISH!!

Oh yes, I understand clearly what my mom meant with that sentence at that time. Proper sleep is luxurious for me now. I know people who fall asleep directly once their heads touch the pillows, and I envy them. And I dare say, be grateful if you can sleep easily and soundly, or you can't sleep because you have something to do (e.g. : homework, projects, etc.), not because you have a lot of things in your mind and/or your body has developed a weird sleep cycle. Trust me, it affects your daily activities and your mind. And for girls, yes, those Chinese and Koreans were right. Beauty sleep exists. The more proper your sleep cycle, the brighter and cleaner your skin.

In conclusion, sleep is important and I need some solutions to solve my sleeping problem. I don't want to look 30ish when I'm just 20ish. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment